What Is Better, Wired Or Wireless Cameras?
Both wired and wireless security cameras are great, depending on the kind of use you want for your camera.
The wired camera is good because it allows for more cameras to be added to the system so as to extend it, it is less likely to be interfered with by objects that are nearby and it offers a better solution for locations that are permanent.
One may however, not prefer it because of the difficulty in installing it and the fact that it gets affected by power outages, unlike the wireless security camera.
One may prefer to go for the wireless security camera because it is able to withstand power outages with its battery backup or the fact that it is easier to install and transport to a different location. It is however good to note that it is not all rosy; it has its disadvantages such as its ease to be hacked if the signal is jammed.
In our opinion, the wireless camera is better for the security of your home because it can withstand power outages and it gives you an easy time when you wish to install it. Its portability is also a plus when you want to take it to a new place. However, if you wish to use your camera for a long time, consider getting a wired one as they have a longer shelf life.
How do you power a wireless security camera?
All security cameras require power for them to work, and this goes for wireless cameras as well. There are different types of wireless security cameras, and how they are powered depends on their type.
There are wireless security cameras that need plugging in, for this case, a power cable is needed to plug the camera to a power source. Therefore if you will need to use the camera outside you have to look at the length of distance between the power source and the camera.
For the security cameras that are powered by batteries, you will just require to have your batteries with you. No wires are needed and no plugs to electricity outlets. These are quite ideal when you wish to use your camera outside. They also keep working even when power goes out. However, you will be required to keep buying batteries, which is an additional cost and may have an effect on your budget. As such they are not the best option.
Next, there are wireless cameras that are powered by solar. These require a solar panel which collects solar power. They also need rechargeable batteries which store the solar power. These are sold separately but the long term benefits are many since you will not need to use electricity or buy batteries from time to time.
Can wired security cameras be hacked?
Yes, wired security cameras can get hacked, though it is much harder to hack them as compared to wireless cameras.
Hacking a wired camera would mean that destruction of the wires by the hacker since the camera is connected physically by wires. Also, if the cameras are signal-connected, the hacker will have to interfere with the connection and hack the system. How then, do you tell if your camera has been hacked?
First, the camera might produce strange sounds. This is the first and most obvious sign that the camera has been hacked. Next, the camera might follow your movement and rotate abnormally. Third, be on the lookout for your security settings. If they have been changed or interfered with, it is likely that your security camera has been hacked. Also, if your camera has a blinking LED light that blinks randomly, it is likely that it has been hacked. Finally, if the data flow in the camera has spikes in the network traffic, the camera has been hacked.
How do I choose a CCTV camera?
There is an array of CCTV cameras in the market for you to choose from, and this can be quite a task especially if you are a beginner. Considering the following factors will help you choose the best CCTV camera according to your needs.
- Do not go for a camera simply because it is cheap. Cheap is expensive. Get a camera that is of good quality, of course one that is within your budget as well, to avoid regrets in future. Ensure that the camera you get is not unbranded and has a warranty. Get your camera from a company that is reputable.
- Consider the warranty. Avoid getting a camera that has no warranty, just in case something unprecedented happens to it. This will save you the money you will have to use to purchase another camera where you have no warranty. Also, companies that give warranties for their products tend to have more genuine products as compared to those that do not.
- Understand the basic capabilities of a camera. Consider the size of the lens, the memory for storage of data and the wide angle degree. These are the basic camera capabilities and it is important to have good and functional ones in your camera. For the lens size, it is basically the focal length of the camera. For the storage, different cameras have different storage sizes that range from one terabyte to whichever capacity they have been built with. You can increase the storage size by using your own storage devices such as hard drives.
- Be clear on the camera type. You have to clarify the type of surveillance camera you want to avoid having to return the camera you purchased because it does not suit your needs and preferences. There are three camera types in the market; basic analogue cameras, High Definition cameras (HD) and Internet Protocol (IP) cameras. Be sure to get the type you want. In order to do this, you have to do your research properly before purchasing the camera.
- Decide on what you want to be seen by the camera. There are cameras with 360 degree view, and this may be what you want to go for. Also, if you just want the camera to see basic things like the person ringing the door bell, just get a camera that can do so.
- After deciding what you want the camera to see, select the best position you want for the camera. This largely depends on the home or business place topography. It is advisable to place the first camera at the gate then follow with others in weak spots.
- Cost of installation. How expensive will the installation be? Consider other expenses such as that of recorders, connectors, cables and a power supply that is stable as well as that of the labor that will be put in the installation. You can prepare yourself by asking about the total cost where you purchase the camera to avoid getting surprised later on.
- Get advice from a security professional. If possible, ask a security professional for advice on the security camera that is best suited for your property or home. This will help you put everything into perspective before purchasing the camera.
Are wireless CCTV cameras any good?
They can also work even in a power outage for those that use batteries, as opposed to those that require to be connected to an electricity outlet. Besides, they have the ability to switch easily from day to night mode and even give the same detail level even when in low light. They are quite good. Wireless CCTV cameras also have high level of video recording, which is basically the most important things to look out for in a security camera. There are also wireless cameras with two-way audio system which is quite good.
Does CCTV need internet?
Not having internet connection will only cause you not to get motion sensor detection notifications. It can also impair your smartphone from getting a live feed from the camera. Other than that, there is not much that lack of internet does to your camera.
How do I convert my wireless camera to wired?
1. Put a paper clip into the hole that’s used for resetting. If you reset the camera you basically remove all its network settings and allow it to connect to the wireless network.
2. Next, measure the distance from the router to the place where you want to have the camera placed. Get an ethernet cable that is long enough to connect the router to the camera.
3. Finally, get one end of the cable and connect it to the LAN port on the router. Connect the ethernet cable’s other end to the ethernet port on the camera. Turn the camera on after connecting it o the source of power.
Both wired and wireless security cameras play a major role in security and monitoring of households and business premises. We hope this article will help you decide on the best security camera you need for your property.